The following is a sample letter to email or mail to your school district as a response to their request for more information or for you to come to the school to fill out paperwork.
- Copy and paste the text below, providing the appropriate information for areas in [brackets].
- Email to the person who contacted you, as well as to the school principal, school counselor, attendance clerk, and superintendent. Be sure to add your signature, per the commissioner’s letter. If possible, include the “read receipt” option. Web-based email may not have this option, but some email programs such as Outlook do.
- We recommend that you also cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, and to your local home school support group.
- Copy and paste the text below text onto your document, providing the appropriate information for areas in [brackets].
- Mail a signed copy of the letter along with a copy of the commissioner’s letter via Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested in order to receive and retain proof of delivery.
- Print additional copies of the letter and mail to the school principal, school counselor, attendance clerk, superintendent, THSC (P.O. Box 6747, Lubbock, TX 79493), and your local support group, if applicable. Mail these letters Certified or Return Receipt Requested.
Sample Assurance Letter
(Copy and paste the following text into a new document to email or mail.)
[Your City, State, ZIP]
[Your email address]
[Your mobile phone number]
[Name of Person From School District Who Contacted You]
[City, State, ZIP]
Dear Mr(s). [Name of Person From School District Who Contacted You]:
The purpose of this letter is to respond to your inquiry regarding our home school and to assure you that we have a curriculum that covers the basic educational goals of reading, spelling, grammar, math, and a study of good citizenship and that we have been pursuing it in a bona fide manner since [effective date from letter of withdrawal].
According to the Texas Commissioner of Education (TCE), it is not necessary for a parent to make an appearance at the school, complete the school’s withdrawal forms, or submit curricula for your review. My child, [Child’s Name], should be disenrolled according to the effective date on my previous letter.
The most recent letter from the TCE for your instruction in removing my child from your school attendance roll is available to you on the Texas Education Agency website. An online version of this letter is available to you at: https://tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/News_and_Multimedia/Correspondence/TAA_Letters/Home_Schools/
I trust you will handle the disenrollment of my child speedily, now that you have written assurance of my compliance with Texas state law.
If you have further questions, please submit them to me in writing at the above address.
CC: Texas Home School Coalition Association
[Superintendent], [School District Name] ISD
[Local Home School Support Group]