Ok, I admit it, I am one of those moms. I home school two awesome teenage boys, have graduated three before them, host cooperative classes in my home, care for elderly family members, love my best “coffee” gals, and have a wonderful husband. I should have it all figured out by now, right? Truth is, I wonder sometimes why I ever talked myself into teaching my children at home. Why do I still order curriculum I don’t have time to squeeze in even though it “would be so much fun to do”? I often wonder if I’m doing it all correctly or if my kiddos will be scarred for life. Finally, I just found part of a peanut butter sandwich from a few weeks ago hiding behind my printer. I’m quite certain that it has some flavor of failure or inadequacy attached to it.
This is how we look to an onlooker.
This is how we are. Notice, no one is paying attention to the task at hand.
At this point, my friends who aren’t home schoolers would probably look at me with bewilderment and say, “Then why on earth are you home schooling?” The answer is simple. I love having a front row seat on the ride of wonderment my children experience through the process of education. I love watching the light bulb go on when they understand a concept. I love seeing their character unfold as we walk through life’s struggles together, and boy do we have struggles.[bctt tweet=”Why I home school: To see their character unfold… #homeschool”]
Where I Find Support and Motivation
For those of you who can relate, and even for those of you who find yourself in perfect bliss, I want to share with you one of my treasured resources. As a matter of fact, this is such a valuable resource that I now find myself happily in the midst of its planning and preparation by serving on the Events team at the Texas Home School Coalition (THSC). For years, THSC has offered me a “one stop shop” for encouragement, refreshment, fun, education, and resources. THSC’s Conventions in The Woodlands and Arlington are filled with informative workshops, a vast exhibit hall full of curriculum, and Convention programs for everyone in the family.
Encouraging and Helpful
The 2016 Convention speaker lineup is sure to be a much needed boost of energy for home educating families of all shapes and sizes:
- Reb and Bev Bradley will encourage us with ways to build better family relationships through stronger marriages, parent-child relationships, and forgiveness and support of one another.
- Andrew Pudewa, with his invaluable knowledge of writing and literature, will help us explore ways to tap into our children’s imaginations and to mold their character.
- Sometimes parents wonder how they will know if their child struggles with learning challenges. At our Arlington Convention, Dianne Craft will address this as she teaches us more about support for struggling learners.
- For a mom looking to become a stronger mother, wife, and woman of character, Heidi St. John will bless audiences in The Woodlands with words of affirmation and guidance.
- The Texas Leaders Conference is designed to provide support and learning for those who support us on a local level–our home school support group leaders.
- With a host of workshops for those just getting started, panel discussions on the upcoming election, troubleshooting your home school, choosing curriculum, and staying organized, everyone is sure to leave with his or her information cup full.
- Additional speakers include Frederic Gray, Kathy Lee, Nancy Feliccia, Tim and Lyndsay Lambert, Dr. Duke Pesta, and David Gibbs.
Meeting Your Whole Family’s Needs
Programs within the Convention are designed to meet a wide variety of needs so the whole family may be enriched:
- Children attending their very own Kids Convention™ will have two days of fun as they learn about American Heroes.
- Pre-teens will enjoy The Inner Princess™ and Mighty Men of Valor™ programs as they bridge the gap between childhood and their teenage years.
- Teens fill important roles while participating in the Teen Staff Program™.
- Families of children with special needs may participate in THSC’s one-of-a-kind Special Buddies™ program. Special Buddies is a respite program for special needs children with a focus on loving care for your child while you attend Convention.
Don’t Forget About the Fun Too!
Additional opportunities for fun include special ticketed events in conjunction with your registration:
- John Erickson, author of the famous Hank the Cowdog series, performs songs and excerpts from the Hank books along with his wife Kris. This annual tradition is looked forward to by attendees young and old.
- Encouragement by Chocolate™ is a mom’s-only event on Friday night–full of fun, sharing and, of course, chocolate.
- Finally, Saturday evening is full of family friendly entertainment. The year 2016 brings to Arlington and The Woodlands, the Amazing Chemistry Show and Family Experience.
- The Family Experience is 170 hands-on experiments in a fun, interactive setting where families can move through each station at their own pace.
- Ending the evening is the Amazing Chemistry Show with Josh Denhart, founder of KidMin Science. Josh brings to life the message of Christ in a 32-foot stage production filled with fire, explosions, and foam, all set to music. With audience involvement, laughter, and fun, the message of Jesus Christ is communicated using powerful illustrations. Bring the whole family and come join the fun!
And, of Course, the Shopping . . .
Finally, I can’t say enough about the massive exhibit hall. Filled with booth after booth of valuable tools to make teaching easier, the exhibit hall is a place to flip through the pages of materials and ask specific questions concerning individual types of curriculum. If you are a curriculum junkie like I am, the books are so vivid, you can smell the gunpowder of the Civil War, sit in a treehouse with the Robinsons, and feel the heat of a Mount St. Helen–all in your mind’s eye. Exhibitors are there for more than just a profit. They come to help empower you to teach your children.[bctt tweet=”Empowering you to teach your children. #THSCConvention #homeschool”]
Could There Be More?
The Texas Home School Coalition is more than just two fantastic state Conventions. THSC is devoted to families. We strive to meet the needs–through your support–of families across the state through a strong presence at the State Capitol lobbying for legislation that supports the rights of fit parents to direct the care, control, and upbringing of their children. Special events, legal support, ministry letters, and member support are just a few of the ways THSC serves families. We simply could not do it without you. Join today and support the mission of THSC, then come to Convention on us! THSC members (one adult and a spouse or grandparent) attend Convention for free. What a great way to reenergize and invest in the organization fighting to protect your rights!